Monday, April 18, 2011

Becky B.- Stop Gossip...

1. When and where were you when you were tempted to gossip?
I was out for lunch with friends, or out for drinks, or on the phone with people when the conversation got dead. Had a fight with a family member and talked to other family members about it.
2. Who were you with
Friends
3. What was the temptation to gossip? 
Lack of conversation, anger, being hurt by someone and wanting to talk about it, pride in knowing peoples secrets and almost bragging about them (I had a bad night gossiping with friends)
4. Was there a specific 'gossiper' who tempted you? (babbler, secret teller, slanderer, lover of gossip)
Yes and I would have been the ‘lover of gossip’
5. Did you feel the Holy Spirit's warning about dabbling into gossip?
Yes and I ignored it, then on another occasion I was tempted and instead the conversation went to better things
6. If you attempted to overcome the temptation to gossip which of the 'stop-gossip' tools did you use?
Subject change
7. If you did or did not overcome the temptation to gossip, How did it make you feel? What did you learn? Are you motivated to continue the stop-gossip challenge for the rest of your life?

I’m embarrassed. I gossiped in front of a girl I barely knew and talked about good friends of mine, it made me feel like a bad friend, like why would she want to befriend someone who clearly bashes her good friends? I called that night "verbal diarrhea" night, I will see this person again this week and I plan on apologizing for the gossiping I did. I learnt that gossiping always makes me feel worse about myself, and never makes me feel good, ever! I kind of wake up the next day with a shame over about the gossiping I did the day before, it is not a comfortable feeling. However, I get up every morning with the intent to start anew, vowing to change and knowing that I am already forgiven if I fail. 

3 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for being so openly honest about your week. There have been times in the past where I have had weeks like these and they have happened in similar fashion (too many drinks, venting sessions) but I have been too afraid to admit to anyone else just how bad it actually was and I appreciate your no-sugar-coating tell-it how-it-is experiences. I love the term ‘verbal diarrhea’ as well because that really is exactly how I would explain it – crap coming out of your mouth that nobody wants to hear or see because it is grosse. The good news Becky is that you clearly have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of you, letting you know when you are off course. As the Proverb says “My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights”. I hope you know that the ‘shameover’ feeling after you gossip is not meant condemn you but to remind you that God loves you. His Spirit is saying “you are off track right now, my grace is sufficient to cover your iniquities but you need to re-direct your steps back towards me”. The Bible says “he who conceals his sins does not prosper but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy” (prov 28:30) I love how you are taking the extra leap of faith towards Gods light by confessing your sin of gossip and apologizing to the girl. Only a woman of great faith would go the extra mile to confess to the person who may have been negatively affected by your sin. I would like to leave you with a scripture of encouragement because I know it is relevant to the desire of your heart. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied” (Matt 5:6) You are on the right track sis, and I know you will be more than a conquer over the sin of Gossip because your heart is geared towards the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mattеr іf somе οne searchеѕ fοг hiѕ necesѕary
    thing, ѕo hе/ѕhe neеds to be avaіlable
    that in detail, so thаt thіng is maintained
    over herе.

    Ηere iѕ my blog - payday

    ReplyDelete