Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spiritual Swirling and Divine Dancing.

The religious feelings in the room were silenced when the guitar player boldly declared, “It’s not worship unless you strain a muscle!” Even though laughter filled the air, truth pierced my heart.

My mind wanted to come up with a thousand reasons for why this statement isn’t really true.

Worship can be a quiet and reflective time with God. It is moments where my spirit and my mind are actively engaged in contemplating His goodness, provision, and grace. I sit in silence before Him or whisper words of adoration. My songs flow from my lips, but more importantly they resonate in my heart. I am worshiping God in reverence and honor…in the secret of my heart.

Although I can list plenty of proof that worship is an internal turning of my heart towards my King, there is still something missing. Worship is definitely a soft and gentle demonstration of my love for God, but there is more! I can easily turn my inner man to the voice of God; this seems to be the simple and non-sacrificial part of praise for me.

But deep in my spirit, there is an explosion happening. Below the surface of my quiet and reserved nature towards God is a heart bursting with love and thankfulness for my Savior.

Jesus tells us, “The most important commandment…you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. {Mark 12:30} It’s easy to exalt God with my heart and even my mind. But with my soul and strength, now that makes worship a challenging experience for me.

God tells me the best thing to give Him in worship is not only my mind and heart, but also my soul. God wants to be loved with every part of me- my crazy emotion, passion, and devotion.

To worship with all my strength is even more radical and out of my comfort zone. This means my worship is going to make noise, it’s going to be expressed. It’s not going to be locked away in the depths of my heart but on display through my actions, through dance, through the movement of my body.

From the moment God turned my life around, I remember I had the insatiable urge to dance. I would leap down the hallways of my house shouting my freedom. I would jump on my bed singing of my deliverance. It was my natural response to a supernatural God. 
However, through the years, the cares, worries, and lies of this life have quenched that part of worship for me. I am careful not to reach out my hands to high on a Sunday morning; I wouldn’t want to block anyone’s view of the words on the screen. I don’t want to jump to high, for fear I might offend someone or look like a complete fool. I don’t want to sing too loud; I know everyone doesn’t need to hear me, especially when I’m off pitch. So I remain tame, normal, somewhat cool, calm, and collected about God?!

Out of a genuine concern for people and a desire to not rock the boat or cause someone to think I am putting on a show- I hold back. I don’t put everything I am into praise. I don’t worship in complete abandonment. I yield only part of who I am.

Worship is not just an internal turning, but an outward expression. It will be seen. Worship declares God’s worthiness throughout the world. If every fiber in our being is worshiping, then...

people.
will.
see.


We can't hide our surrender.

I see nothing in the Psalms of half-hearted, toe-tapping, hushed whispered worship. Instead all I read is of holy hip-hop, divine dancing, clanging cymbals, and spiritual swirling.

Worship happens in the presence of people; it is published among the nations. Even nature moves to the rhythm of their Creator, so why can’t we?

There is time for waiting patiently, quietly pursuing, and tenderly praising, but we must take off the shackles of culture, personality, and tradition if we are too absolutely abandon ourselves to God. Worshiping in authentic passion and abandonment is so attractive to the heart of God.

Preparing our hearts for worship might need to include a little more stretching.

Sweat on our foreheads and straining a muscle is not just limited to physical exercise!


So wiggle your foot, tap your toe, shake your arm, and jiggle your bum. Do whatever you need to do to awaken your soul and stir up your strength to truly worship the Lord!

What do you think about worshiping God with all your soul and strength, is it difficult for you too?

5 comments:

  1. i love that you had the urge to dance. this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful to God I saw your post. I have always loved dancing in the Lord's presence. I can always express myself when I'm dancing and worshiping at the same time. It's just an amazing feeling and an overwhelming experience every time I dance before the Lord. Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oftentіmeѕ, weddіng dresseѕ are alsο а greаt wеdding dreѕѕ choісе.
    Here we gіvе you threе рoints that will tell you
    hoω you сan uѕe other daгk colors as well.
    Βеyoncе Κnоωleѕ сοmpleted the maѕteг clеanse and does
    it worκ?

    Here iѕ my webpagе :: http://amved.com/karm/wiki/index.php?title=User:BillyBKR

    ReplyDelete